Summer is winding down, pre-season football has started and back to school shopping is in full swing. Finding your perfect “First Day” or even “go to” outfit can be tricky; do you wear your favorite summer dress with those new wedges, or play it cool with a pair of boyfriend jeans and a statement necklace?
Just like New Years Resolutions, the trek back to school is all about new beginnings, and a fresh start, so take advantage of the chance to show off your and improved “best self” in an outfit that lets your personality shine. Don’t be afraid to mix patterns, colors or even textures this school year. Push your style boundaries and live boldy!
Don’t try to take on multiple fashion trends at once. Instead, keep things simple and stick with flattering basics pieces and then choose one trendy item to play up or build from each day.
The fashion basics are:
- Dark denim jeans – Dark jeans are a timeless classic – just make sure you choose a brand that fits well, with no more than 2 percent Lycra, as the fabric will follow your curves better.
- White and black button down shirts – Simple button-down shirts can be worn dozens of different ways and in a variety of styles.
- Solid color tee shirts – Solid tee’s are a staple and can again be dressed up or dress down to accomodate the outfit and accessories. These are also great worn simply with a pair of jeans and your favorite wedge or heel.
- Khakis – Another staple, choose a flat front as it’s more flattering.
- Black Business Suit and Blazer – For those days when you need to dress up and for important life events; interviews, big business meetings, and for formal occasions. This is not to say you cannot pair the jacket with a cool graphic tee and “dress it down” on more casual days or even for evenings out paired with accessories.
To make getting dressed easy, and to stay current with the latest trends, have these new pieces in your closet this year when school starts:
- Leather skirt – Update this staple by choosing a leather skirt in your signature color. Pair with a sheer, patterned blouse, bare legs and heels while it’s still hot out, and keep wearing it during winter with bold tights, and booties.
- Graphic print dress – A print-dress can be dressed up or down and is an easy go-to on days when you sleep through your alarm! Channel an “Empire State of Mind” with a New York skyline printed dress. Layer with a chambray tie-dyed button down for chilly autumn days. Don’t forget to wear some edgy wedge sneakers for a street-style look every girl will envy.
- Tuxedo pants – Look good and feel confident while giving the dreaded class presentation in a menswear-inspired pair of tuxedo pants. Add a floral blouse and a pair of black heels (and a messy bun!), for a chic, pulled together look.
This post was generously provided by Lauren.
Lauren is a fashion lover and draws fashion inspiration and style from Ali & Kris, trendy juniors clothing line.
Next post: Autumn Winter Essentials
Previous post: The Three Most Important Rules Of Accessorising Your Outfit.